A bastion of traditional and contemporary arts, the Sutra Foundation is bequeathed to Malaysia by one of its most celebrated sons, Ramli Ibrahim.
Sutra Foundation carries into the future the thread of his vision and contribution to the Malaysian arts scene. The Foundation strives to develop the breadth and depth of Malaysian performing and visual arts through stimulating the creative spirit of cross-cultural Malaysia. Various cultures come together here to forge a unique ‘sutra’ bond that fosters a universal yet distinctively Malaysian interpretation of the arts.
Sutra Foundation is guided and administrated by its board of trustees:
The Foundation shall—
- To preserve, develop, and promote traditional and contemporary performing arts in Malaysia.
- Promote Malaysia nationally and internationally through diverse and innovative performances
- Educate the Malaysian public on traditional and contemporary arts through its programs and courses
- Develop public participation in all aspects of performing arts regardless of race, creed or religion
- Provide scholarships in order to develop Malaysian performing arts talents to the highest level
- Create a laboratory situation which facilitates and stimulates intercultural experimentation.